Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcome to the View Point - January 2013

Well, we've done it again.  We've used up yet another year. Did you get accomplished in 2012 what you planned on doing?  I got a few things done and a few things left undone, but that's typical for me.  As we move into a new year and say good bye to 2012, I'm reminded that we have much to be optimistic for in the coming year.  With a bit of luck and just a tad of blind optimism, we may actually see Congress get something done in 2013.  I know, it's a stretch, but hey, it's January 1. You have to hope BIG don't you?

Anyway, we have three articles for you this month.  Our regular contributor, Bill Holmes, has a great piece on parsing through all the information we get inundated with on a daily basis and trying to figure out what is true and what is not.   Contributing author David Pillow writes a great review of one of my new heroes of 2012, Nate Silver.  David writes a review on Nate's blog, 538, and also of Silver's great book, The Signal and the Noise.  Silver confounded many during the last election cycle with his predictions which were based on (gasp!) math.  David's review describes the approach Mr. Silver employs which will make you want to go out and buy the book.

Finally, I finish up this month with a notion of what is next for all of us. As we welcome in a New Year, what will we do with it?  Something for all of us to ponder after we've recovered from the previous nights festivities.

I hope you enjoy January's issue and please, like always, give us some feedback, get in the conversation and tell us what you think.

All the best for the New Year,

Dennis Sherrard,
Editor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've removed moderation from the comments, so you all be nice out there please. Don't get rude or profane, or I'll have to put moderation back on and I don't want to do that. Enjoy our Webzine and participate. Thanks - The Editor.