Monday, October 1, 2012

Welcome to the View Point - October 2012

It's finally October.  This is my favorite time of the year.  Fall is upon us and football is back. After a disastrous 3 games in the NFL, the owners finally relented and brought the "real refs" back.  The Green Bay Packers loss to Seattle on Monday Night was the straw that broke the owners back.  I think had they kept the lockout going, the fans and maybe even the players might have boycotted.  It's hard to blame the replacement refs. Sure, they were awful, but that's not the issue.  The issue is money.  The owners shot themselves in the foot when they locked out the refs over a contract dispute.  They lost the country, who loves their football.  How do you know this? Well, both presidential candidates agreed on the topic, and the governor of Wisconsin, Scott Walker, an obvious Packer fan was so incensed with the problem that he actually sided with a union for a change.  So, there you go, perhaps we have a way of solving some of the problems in Washington. Perhaps if the fans and the players refuse to play or watch football anymore until the nincompoops in D.C. get their selves sorted out we might see some progress.

Speaking of Washington D.C., we have a great article from our regular contributor Bill Holmes on the upcoming election.  Only a little more than a month away, and key debates coming up with one this week and two more before election day, the election will decide once more who leads us for the next four years.  Whatever you want to say about how dysfunctional and inept our politicians are. And wow, are they. It is important to celebrate this event that occurs every four years.  We as citizens have an obligation to go and cast our vote.  It is important as we are the employers of the people we send to Washington.  And like the old maxim goes; "if you don't vote, you have no right to complain". So it's worth doing if just for that.   Anyway, we need to recognize that this great event occurs and we pass power to another party without tanks rolling into the streets, or the military "counting the votes". Yes, we have problems, but all in all, I like our chances.  Get up. Get out. Go vote.  It's your responsibility.

We also have an article regarding the most recent Ryder Cup tournament that ended yesterday with the European team making a startling comeback on Sunday to retain the trophy. Well played by the Euros and I think they may have some help from a certain Spanish Ghost on this one.

I'd also like to write a "shout-out" to my wife Judy for her perseverance.  Yesterday, we celebrated our 27th Anniversary and I consistently marvel at the patience she shows me.  I don't know if I would have been so nice to me over these years, but I certainly have been blessed to have her with me.  As we enter the Autumn of our years, I can't think of anyone I'd rather share that time with. So, honey, thanks and I love you.

Enjoy the October issue, and as always, write and comment back. We want to know what you think.

DMS

Managing Editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've removed moderation from the comments, so you all be nice out there please. Don't get rude or profane, or I'll have to put moderation back on and I don't want to do that. Enjoy our Webzine and participate. Thanks - The Editor.